Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Creeping Time


I know it's been over a week since my last post, so sorry about the delay. I want to spend this next entry to showcase some bluegrass. Growing up, I had little control over the radio and I often spent my time in the car forced to listen to NPR. Every Sunday night, the local NPR station in Dayton Ohio, WYSO, would play various bluegrass artists. To be honest, I really didn't care for it growing up. That would change in college, though, when a friend of mine invited me to a bluegrass show at a local bar where his band was headlining. Listening to the fantastic instrumentation of guitar, banjo, drums, fiddle, and bass, I was immediately brought into a style of music that I dismissed so easily in my childhood. So here's a bit about a band called "Creeping Time."

Creeping Time was formed in 1997 in Seattle Washington. Joined by bassist Ken Nottingham, drummer Dave Forrester, fiddler Kjell Anderson, and guitarist Michael Splay, this band has a lot to offer in both energy and musicality. Though much of the lead vocals come from Dave Forrester, one of the most impressive features of the band are the vocal contributions from two other band members.

Listening to as much of their music I could get my hands on, I found one particular album that I really enjoyed. "How to Fly", released in 2001 is a terrific album with lots of good tracks to offer. There are a few observations that I made while listening. First, the lead vocalist has Bob Dylan qualities. Secondly, the instrumentation is quite diverse. In this album, in addition to the familiar instrumentation, I heard piano in "Sparky's Lament", harmonica in most of the songs, and (most surprisingly) an accordion in "Bright Summer Day". From beginning to end, this album is solid and if you like bluegrass or folk in any regard, I recommend checking out Creeping Time.

Creeping Time can be found at http://www.creepingtime.com, Amazon, and iTunes.

Youtube Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment